Sunday 15 August 2010

And so it begins

As a voice artist, I’m often asked to look at the multitude of different dialects that we have throughout this wonderful world of ours.

I certainly have my favourites - I enjoy some of the Eastern European dialects, which is handy if I ever want to get work on a building site. Of course, first I would have to learn a little something about building, because if it’s anything more complicated than putting up a shelf, you’re really better off calling the professionals. 

Amongst my very favourite though is Welsh. Ah Wales - the country that gave us Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones, Aled Jones and of course - Charlotte Church Jones.

Now in North Wales they are very proud of their language. All of their road signs are written in both English and Welsh - which is weird for place names because in most cases, the English name and the Welsh name are exactly the same. Maybe the sign makers were getting paid by the letter, so that’s a smart move on their part.

This is a language which is sometimes completely devoid of vowels. Seriously, there are words in that language that would choke an ordinary man before he got to the end of a sentence. It’s like melodic phlegm. And can you imagine what Welsh Countdown is like?

“I’ll have a consonant please.....and another.....and another.....and another......I think you know where I’m going with this” Thirty seconds later and they’ve managed five 7 letter words, two first names and the names of a couple of railway stations for good measure!

There are accents which lift the spirit, and there are accents which scare the living daylights out of people. I’m not going to name names here, because I’d hate to think my first blog was taken down on the grounds of incitement to racial hatred.

Anyway, in case you’re interested - I can do the Welsh accent if you need it.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment